Saturday, June 14, 2008

Whata Country!

Last night I was watching the news about Tim Russert, the host of Meet the Press, that passed away at work yesterday. I have to admit that I watched his show only a couple of times but I was always blown away by his knowledge. I realized last night that he truly loved this country. His love for it was instilled in him from an early age. I have to say that I too love this country. I laugh because I always tear up when I hear drums beating and see the American Flag! I love the military and all that they do for me and my freedom. I can say that because I had a Grandpa that served in the Navy and was in war. I love to hear about his stories and to sit and learn about his past. He truly is one of my personal heros! I will always remember when Kimmie came down to visit and we sat and listened to his stories for hours. I have never been so entertained and entranced as I was that afternoon. I loved to hear about how him and my grandma met, married, traveled across the country so that he wouldn't be late from his leave! I love to hear that he decided to actually see the war and not just teach in chicago so that he could actually have real life experiences and not just teach about them. I think its interesting that when he made that decision his superiors told him not to go and that he had this cushy job but he couldn't stand having his students look him in the eye and ask if he had ever seen any action and he hadn't. His decision meant that my grandma and uncle had to move back to tooele, ut. with my great grandma! I can't imagine the strength that it took for the both of them! Anyways, my thoughts are that this country are built on the backs of men like my grandpa! I just had to say that I am proud to be American and that I have the ability to be the best I want to be.

No comments: