Saturday, June 25, 2011

My Sweet Grammy

This past Tuesday my beautiful Grammy passed away peacefully at the age of 90.

I am humbled to by the overwhelming sense of love and peace knowing that she is on the other side with her family, probably giggling with her sisters and being loved on by her parents, grandparents aunts and uncles. The night of her passing i was awake crying with my sense of loss, the feeling of peace that the temple is true and that families are forever. I could picture her family embracing her with joy. My tears dried up (though i still tear up at the thought of not being in her presence here on earth) and i felt a peace that i didn't think i would find. I couldn't help but sit down and think about her long life and what she had seen in her lifetime.

She was born in 1920 in a small town in Utah... Can you imagine the amazing changes that has happened in the world at that time.

She was born the year that Prohibition was put into effect in America.
She saw the depression.
She felt the hope of Roosevelt and the change that he helped to bring about in the country.
She saw wars. World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, the cold war, Iraq in the 90's and then again in 2001.
She saw first hand what being a war wife meant.
She was around for Pearl Harbor.
She listened to the radio for entertainment, then moved on to black and white TV, color t.v. and now flat screen t.v.
She was around for assassination of Kennedy and attempted assassinations of Ford and Reagan.
She saw the space race and watched the first man standing on the moon.
She was around for segragation and saw it come to an end.
She was around for the advancement in Computer technology.
She was around for how travel around the world got easier by flight.
She saw the Twin Towers fall on that September day.

I know that this list is short, and that i am sure that i missed very important things. Can you imagine living through these things that we just read about in history books?!!!

The Things that I am going to miss is going over and sitting on the chair holding her soooo very soft hands admiring her wedding ring and listening to her stories. I loved walking in and going over to give her loves. I loved crawling into bed with her when she was taking a nap and giggling with her in bed. I loved the laughs. I loved saturdays when i would go over and mess up her freshly helmeted head. I loved watching her interact with her sisters and brother. I loved that I found out that she was the center of the party. I laugh when she tried to boss me around in the kitchen. I will cherish the memory of making a lemon merangue pie and accidently leaving out the lemon in one of the pies and then making lemade out of the extra lemon juice! I will cherish living with her when i first moved to San Diego, really getting to know her and realizing she is a kindred spirit. I will always cherish the relationship that my grandparents had. I will never forget when she came in and did the sexy dance for me, probably to the shock of both of us! I giggle when my grammy told me after years of me being single that she had given up praying for me to find someone! I will never forget when i called her to remind her it was my birthday that she said "oh Shit" because she had forgotten. I will never forget how she hated where my wedding was going to be and going over the day after it to have her tell me that it was the most beautiful wedding she had ever been to. I will always hear her say in her scratchy voice "oh it was so lovely, just wonderful!" Its funny i had it in balboa park because it was right next to the natural history museum where she had for years been a volunteer.

I will always be thankful for feeling so loved by her.

I will miss her but i will always be thankful for the blessing of having her as my grammy!

Until we meet again.

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love you Comi!